Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truly get into the heart of the wilderness. All other travel is mere dust and hotels and baggage and chatter. John Muir, Environmentalist
The National Wilderness Stewardship Alliance exists to bring together the wilderness stewardship community into a growing network of volunteer-based organizations that provide stewardship for America's enduring resource of wilderness. Read More
What's Happening -
Don't Delay - Registration is Open - Less than 60 Days away!
2017 National Wilderness Workshop
Lake Point Conference Center, Arkansas Tech
October 3-5, 2017
Registration for the 2017 National Wilderness Workshop is now open.
Field Trip priority is determined by Registration date. Don't delay in registering in order to get the field trip of your choice.
Early Registration prices in effect. The Registration Fee will increase two weeks prior to the event.
Top Ten Reasons to Attend the National Wilderness Workshop:
- Learn the latest in wilderness policy and help with issue definition and resolution
- Expand your knowledge and understanding of wilderness management
- Be inspired by peer sharing and learning experiences during the Workshop
- Participate in wilderness issue discussions with today’s wilderness leaders.
- Network with your peers and National and Regional wilderness leaders.
- Learn about issues affecting wilderness nationally with a special focus on the Ozark Highlands.
- Attend Field Trips to enhance your learning experience.
- Recruit future staff members from students and other participants.
- Be part of the movement of wilderness stewards
- Relax and have fun with like-minded wilderness stewards
Enjoy this video from the 2016 National Wilderness Workshop to experience the value of attending.
Sponsors include: The US Forest Service, The Pew Trusts, Arkansas Audubon, and the Ozark Highland Trail Association.
Winter 2017-18 Wilderness Stewardship Performance Grant Program to start taking applications - August 15th.
The Forest Service and the National Wilderness Stewardship Alliance are pleased to announce a continuation of the WSP Grant Program for National Forest Wilderness areas for Winter 2017-2018. Full details on the WSP Grant Program will be posted on our website by August 15th. Grant deadline will be September 30 with awards announced by October 15. Check back in August for all the details.
NWSA Survey on the National Forest System Trails Stewardship Act of 2016
The National Forest System Trails Stewardship Act of 2016 will affect volunteer and partner engagement on National Forest Trails for years to come. The Act provides for additional consultation and feedback from the public on the trails program.
Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond to this survey. Results of the survey can be found here.
Remember to renew your NWSA Membership for 2017. Click here for details.
Participate in webinars, apply for grants, get discounts at workshops and conferences. Be kept advised of news and events affecting the wilderness stewardship community. Join the community today!
Want to work in wilderness? Check out the Job Postings Here