The National Forest System Trail Stewardship Partnership Funding Program
A joint partnership effort between NWSA and the USDA Forest Service, and you! These program funds are provided to trail and stewardship organizations to improve trail maintenance on the National Forest System Trail System.
Summer 2018 Funding Program Details
The National Forest System Trail Stewardship Partnership Funding Program is intended to encourage and support volunteer and stewardship group trail maintenance accomplishments and trail deferred maintenance backlog on the National Forest trail system.
NWSA is proud to manage this funding program to support the National Forest System Trails Stewardship Partnership Funding Program. Following the success of the 2017 pilot program the Forest Service has allocated $400,000 to this year's Partnership Funding for work on National Forest System Trails. This program directly support the implementation of the National Trails Strategy, which has a goal of doubling volunteer trail work in the next decade.
Here are a few basics of the Trail Funding Program:
- Any non-profit group recognized by the IRS may apply for a Trail Stewardship Funding.
- These grants are for work on any and all National Forest System terra trails.
- Trail work will be performed during the 2018 Field Season (May - December).
- Grants range from $2,000 - $20,000.
Complete information on the Trail Stewardship Grant program can be found in the Fact Sheet.
Each Application requires an:
- Application Form (available in .pdf or .docx WORD format) Click here for application.
- Click here for A Budget Worksheet
- A Letter of Support from District Ranger or Forest Supervisor
- A letter of non-profit status from the IRS, unless already on file with NWSA
The application period closed April 15th, 2018.
Questions about the National Forest System Trail Stewardship Partnership Funding may be addressed to Randy Welsh, Executive Director, NWSA at either 801-808-2167 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Final Reports Due by January 15th. Please use this Final Report Template as the basis for your report.
Summer 2018 National Forest System Trail Stewardship Partnership Funded Projects
Organizations with funded projects during the Summer 2018 Trails Stewardship Program
American Endurance Ride Conference
Arizona Trail Association
Back Country Horsemen of America - Mother Lode Chapter
Back Country Horsemen of America - San Joaquin Chapter
Back Country Horsemen of America - Wild Horse Plains Chapter
Boulder Mountain Bike Alliance
Chequamegon Area Mountain Bike Association
Continental Divide Trail Coalition
Colorado Fourteeners Initiative
Friends of Panthertown
Friends of Pathways
Friends of Scotchman Peak Wilderness
Friends of the Dillon Ranger District
Friends of the Shawnee
Idaho Trails Association
Montana Wilderness Association
Mountain Bike the Tetons
National Smokejumpers Association (2 projects)
Northwoods Volunteer Connection
Partners of Joyce Kilmer Slickrock Wilderness
Pony Express Association
Redwoods Park Conservancy
Southern Appalachian Wilderness Stewards
Selway Bitterroot-Frank Church Foundation
SORBA - NEGA Jake-Bull
South Dakota Trails Development
Upper Merced Watershed Council
Southwest Montana Mountain Biking Association
Stewards of the Sequoias
Tucson Off Road Cyclists
Volunteers For Outdoor Colorado
Wallowa Mountain-Hells Canyon Trails Association
Washington Trails Association
Watershed Research Center
Wildlands Restoration Volunteers
Wyoming Wilderness Association
Yosemite South Gate Coalition
Organizations with funded projects during the Summer 2017 Trails Stewardship Program
- Alaska Trails
- Arizona Trail Association
- BCHA - Idaho Foundation
- BCHA - Washington
- Boulder MountainBike Alliance
- Evergreen MBA
- Friends of Scotchman Peaks
- Friends of the Desert Mountains
- Friends of the Dillon Ranger District
- Friends of the Shawnee
- Idaho Trails Association
- Mountain Bike Missoula
- Mountain Bike the Tetons
- Northwoods Volunteer Connection/Friends of Boundary Waters Wilderness
- Partners of JoyceKilmer-Slickrock
- Prescott Trail Riders
- Santa Barbara Trail Bike Volunteers
- Sierra Buttes Trail Stewardship
- Stewards of the Sequoias
- Volunteers for Outdoors Colorado
- Washington Trails Association
- Wild South