The National Forest System Trail Stewardship Partner Funding Program
A joint partnership effort between NWSA and the USDA Forest Service, and you!
This program is a collaboration of NWSA and the Forest Service, with American Hiking Society, American Trails, Back Country Horsemen of America, International Mountain Bicycling Association, National Off-Highway Vehicle Conservation Council, and the American Motorcyclist Association all participating in the rating and selection of projects. These program funds are provided to trail and stewardship organizations to improve trail maintenance on the National Forest System Trail System.
2020 National Forest System Trail Stewardship Partner Funding
Thank you to everyone who expressed support for this program to the Forest Service. They heard you and we are expecting $200,000 in funding to distribute in 2020.
Application materials available now.
The National Forest System Trail Stewardship Partner Funding Program is intended to encourage and support volunteer and stewardship group trail maintenance accomplishments and trail deferred maintenance backlog on the National Forest trail system. The ideal project proposal will engage volunteers in the accomplishment of trail maintenance over the course of a field season over a broad area of a District or Forest.
NWSA and our partner organizations are proud to manage this funding program to support the National Forest System Trails Stewardship Partner Funding Program. This program directly support the implementation of the National Trails Strategy, which has a goal of doubling volunteer trail work in the next decade.
Here are a few basics of the Trail Funding Program:
- Any non-profit group recognized by the IRS may apply for Trail Stewardship Funding.
- These grants are for work on any and all National Forest System terra trails.
- Trail work is usually performed during the Summer/Fall Field Season (May - December).
- Grants range from $2,000 - $10,000.
- Require either a non-federal cash or in-kind match of at least 1:1
Complete information on the Trail Stewardship Partner Grant program can be found in the Fact Sheet.
Each Application requires an:
- Application Form (available in .docx WORD format)
- A Budget Worksheet (in Excel)
- A Letter of Support from District Ranger or Forest Supervisor
- A letter of non-profit status from the IRS, unless already on file with NWSA
- All Projects this year will use Direct Deposit for reimbursements (Direct Deposit form to be submitted if selected, unless already on file with NWSA)
Questions about the National Forest System Trail Stewardship Partnership Funding may be addressed to Randy Welsh, Executive Director, NWSA at either 801-808-2167 or email@example.com.
Thank you for your support of NWSA and the National Forest System Trail Stewardship Partnership Fund.
Summer of 2019 - No Program
Summer 2018 National Forest System Trail Stewardship Partnership Funded Projects
Organizations with funded projects during the Summer 2018 Trails Stewardship Program
American Endurance Ride Conference
Arizona Trail Association
Back Country Horsemen of America - Mother Lode Chapter
Back Country Horsemen of America - San Joaquin Chapter
Back Country Horsemen of America - Wild Horse Plains Chapter
Boulder Mountain Bike Alliance
Chequamegon Area Mountain Bike Association
Continental Divide Trail Coalition
Colorado Fourteeners Initiative
Friends of Panthertown
Friends of Pathways
Friends of Scotchman Peak Wilderness
Friends of the Dillon Ranger District
Friends of the Shawnee
Idaho Trails Association
Montana Wilderness Association
Mountain Bike the Tetons
National Smokejumpers Association (2 projects)
Northwoods Volunteer Connection
Partners of Joyce Kilmer Slickrock Wilderness
Pony Express Association
Redwoods Park Conservancy
Southern Appalachian Wilderness Stewards
Selway Bitterroot-Frank Church Foundation
SORBA - NEGA Jake-Bull
South Dakota Trails Development
Upper Merced Watershed Council
Southwest Montana Mountain Biking Association
Stewards of the Sequoias
Tucson Off Road Cyclists
Volunteers For Outdoor Colorado
Wallowa Mountain-Hells Canyon Trails Association
Washington Trails Association
Watershed Research Center
Wildlands Restoration Volunteers
Wyoming Wilderness Association
Yosemite South Gate Coalition
Organizations with funded projects during the Summer 2017 Trails Stewardship Program
- Alaska Trails
- Arizona Trail Association
- BCHA - Idaho Foundation
- BCHA - Washington
- Boulder MountainBike Alliance
- Evergreen MBA
- Friends of Scotchman Peaks
- Friends of the Desert Mountains
- Friends of the Dillon Ranger District
- Friends of the Shawnee
- Idaho Trails Association
- Mountain Bike Missoula
- Mountain Bike the Tetons
- Northwoods Volunteer Connection/Friends of Boundary Waters Wilderness
- Partners of JoyceKilmer-Slickrock
- Prescott Trail Riders
- Santa Barbara Trail Bike Volunteers
- Sierra Buttes Trail Stewardship
- Stewards of the Sequoias
- Volunteers for Outdoors Colorado
- Washington Trails Association
- Wild South