The mission of the National Wilderness Stewardship Alliance is to develop a growing network of volunteer-based organizations to provide stewardship for America's enduring resource of wilderness.
Our vision is to see each wilderness area within the National Wilderness Preservation System adopted by a wilderness stewardship organization dedicated to protecting and nurturing the area’s character and values. We envision effective partnerships between community-based, non-profit wilderness stewardship organizations and all government agencies charged with the management of our national wilderness areas.
Our goal is to improve wilderness stewardship and create an allied constituency for wilderness by connecting stewardship organizations with each other, linking our efforts and experiences, directing groups to resources, and fostering new organizations.
- Identify wilderness stewardship groups nationwide in order to determine the present level of support.
- Through our website and other resources, share knowledge, experience and expertise among local, regional and national stewardship organizations.
- Provide new groups with start-up models of different structures, help them anticipate the questions that typically arise as groups form, and connect them with people who have built successful organizations.
- Sponsor national and regional gatherings of stewardship groups.
- Provide grants to help stewardship groups accomplish on-the-ground projects benefiting Wilderness
- Help foster a culture within governing agencies that values volunteer-based wilderness stewardship organizations and has the means to give them effective support.